Cars have changed. So have safety rules, driving conditions and the roads you travel every day.
By taking this safety course, you'll learn the current rules of the road, defensive driving techniques and how to operate your vehicle more safely in today's increasingly challenging driving environment. You'll learn how you can manage and accommodate common age-related changes in vision, hearing and reaction time. In addition, you'll learn:
- How to minimize the effects of dangerous blind spots
- How to maintain the proper following distance behind another car
- The safest ways to change lanes and make turns at busy intersections
- Proper use of safety belts, air bags, antilock brakes and new technology found in cars today
- Ways to monitor your own and others' driving skills and capabilities
- The effects of medications on driving
- The importance of eliminating distractions, such as eating, smoking and using a cell phone
- After completing the course, you will have a greater appreciation of driving challenges and a better understanding of how to avoid potential collisions and injuring yourself or others and you may be eligible to receive an insurance discount upon completing the course, so contact your insurance agent for details. The classroom course costs only $25 for AARP members and $30 for non-AARP members and includes lunch. AARP membership is not required to take the course.
- Note: Please bring a valid driver's license for the 8-hour course and 8-hour course completion certificate and valid driver's license for the refresher course.